Saturday, 18 July 2015

Goodbyes



Sad goodbyes. My Stepfather had been ill for sometime after suffering several strokes followed by dementia. On Monday I said my goodbyes to him. I hadn't seen him for several weeks and I was deeply shocked at how in that time he had diminished.

A proud, capable man brought down by this debilitating illness. On Wednesday morning he passed away peacefully, no longer a prisoner to a mind and body that no one recognised and he didn't deserve.


The sun continues to shine here which is both restorative and uplifting. Life goes on and we are left with lovely memories.

Have a wonderful weekend
xxx

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss Alison. Dementia is an awful thing to witness, so sad.

    My father passed away two weeks ago, the funeral is in Cardiff on Monday, it's been a sad time here too....our family life was complicated. The loss has been overwhelming though...I have just written a eulogy for him, as I wrote it was only happy things that I remembered....old photos & music this week have triggered many old & good memories. Life goes on doesn't it....best to stick with the happy memories.

    Much love to you, Simone Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Simone for your lovely comments and kind thoughts. I am so sorry to hear about your Father. Yes as you say, remember the good and happy times. I hope Monday will not be too difficult for you. Lots of Love x x

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry Alison and understand only too well, the sad loss of losing someone close. I lost my father through a stroke fourteen years ago (he was too young to go at 57) and feel the pain of his loss still today. My happy memories of him are my greatest treasure. My thoughts are with you, your mother and your family.

    Sophia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia for your lovely comment xx

      Delete
  3. I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy to you! Goodbyes are so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so kind of you to leave such a sweet comment. Thank you so much x

      Delete
  4. May God bless him, and all who love him.

    ReplyDelete