Sunday, 22 February 2015

Not So Grand Designs


Rant Time... 

Like many, I really enjoy watching programmes on house renovations, building the dream, creating something wonderful out of a rather ordinary building. I can see the appeal and sense of achievement one must get from breathing new life into a property and stamping your mark on it.
For me though our house renovation and extension does not currently hold that charm. I am sorry to say I am not enjoying it at all. This is not the first home I have renovated, and indeed the first time held many challenges, not least because my daughter came along before we had finished the work. However I was younger then, had more energy and purpose. Ask almost anyone who has undertaken a building project and they will invariably tell you that it will take twice as long as envisaged and cost twice as much. Certainly that is true. What I am finding SO hard is living in so much mess and dust. It seems to seep through every wall and crevice, there is no escape from it. No matter how hard and often I clean it up, it never goes. As we currently have no heating upstairs, I can't find sanctuary in a lovely warm bedroom either. 

As I live in the countryside, there is always an element of dirt to contend with from wellies, dogs and general outdoor living, however this added to the build has left me feeling as though I will be trapped in this cycle of chaos for ever. The lovely Lou has written so well about her own experience of a building project, how I empathise and totally get how at times it all just seems completely overwhelming with no hope of an end in sight. I could never be featured on Grand Designs, imagine, most probably I would be in tears or harbouring a deep desire to just throw my hands up in the air with expletives! Viewers would consider me a total nightmare ( as does my husband through this probably) I really do admire people that can see the positive through the challenges and delays, I take my hat off to them ( no doubt one of those very fetching bright yellow health and safety helmets you see builders wear)! Personally, I simply can not wait until this whole episode is over, when I can step back and hopefully appreciate the end result and finally restore some order in a CLEAN house.........

Rant over, beautiful images to follow..... And Breathe.



Blissful simplicity.


Clean, white interior envy.


Light and airy elegance.

images via Pinterest and previous posts

Simply white

xxx

8 comments:

  1. I know! I KNOW!!! I am so with you in everything you write. I try to stay upbeat but living in a half finished house (after a gruelling nine months of renovations already) is hard! I long for it to be finished and can most liken it to when I first went to Uni and lived in student accommodation. That feeling that every time you enter a room it is i) cold, ii) not yours and iii) has some major issues from a decorative perspective. Of course then I didn't care about the look of it, whereas now I swear it gradually eats away at your daily equilibrium having it look so grotty. And no heating is THE WORST!!! I am off to my Mums now to for some heat!! Rant over! Thanks for the mention!! Yours, knee-deep in mud and freezing, Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted the bedroom I'm in *after* I moved into this house. I pushed all the furniture and boxes into the center of the room and had about a 2-foot walkway around the walls. Two coats and three times on the trim, and I had to sleep in the stinky room at night. Plastic dropcloths stuck to my bare feet when I got out of bed and I stepped with clean socks into drips of Saffron Ivory paint on the dropcloths more times than I remember. I still have a few socks with paint blobs in my sock drawer. This...uh...develops perseverance and character? :-) Does that help? :-) Everything is the most frustrating and overwhelming when one is fatigued, so when you're tired, go more quickly to bed than usual. Have a spoonful of Nutella first. (There's a tiny Nutella spot on my carpet that never came out. :-) Try to find an oasis in the mess, even if it can't be an entire room...maybe it's just one end of the bed that's clear and not covered in plastic and perch there, relaxed, with your spoon of Nutella, then go to bed. Every time I do a project like this, though, I confess, it becomes exponentially less likely that I will ever do so again...though I love the color of my walls now, and the former color literally leached life from my soul. Okay, it's worth it. Soldier on! :-)

    You *never* rant here! I'm touched that you felt that you could. I just sent up a prayer for peace for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Keep your vitamin content up, too, and pull a chair over to a sunny window for a half hour each day. It often amazes me how a green smoothie and a good workout can change "overwhelming" to "underwhelming." You must have a great deal on you, with family, home, and business. Health first, or you can't do any of it, and know that there are those around the globe who admire you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do empathise with you. I've also renovated several homes and each time they took several long months and I had three young children at the time, and no matter how you prepare for the work ahead, the dust and the mess is always overwhelming and seems never ending. The only light at the end of the dust tunnel is the joy you will feel when it's all finally finished. It's like you've got to tell yourself, don't sweat the small stuff, live with the dust and turn a blind eye until it's all done, because even when it's all finished, it takes ages for the dust to settle and a few weeks to get it all vacuumed up! Breathe deep and say, keep calm and carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could scoop you & Lou up & send you to a gorgeous hotel with heating LOL!!

    I am not enjoying my own house project one bit....and I have watched every TV house show going & longed to do something like I see on the screen. In reality it is every bit as frustrating & painstaking....and we aren't even at the stressful bit yet!!

    Hang in there....spring is coming!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. What a lovely thought Simone, sounds like heaven!

      Delete